From New York to China to Taiwan to Philadelphia: Exploring, Collecting, Connecting.
I’m an American who recently returned from Asia (northern China and Taiwan) after living and working there for two years. I currently reside in the great historic city of Philadelphia, PA.
I moved to China in 2013 after living in Brooklyn, NY. From 2004-2009 I worked as an assistant to former music “public relations” star and current author/speaker Howard Bloom. We traveled throughout America as well as Holland, Russia, South Korea, and Malaysia. We were involved with people in the music industry, space industry & Air Force, various authors, futurists, scientists, multi-media artists, businessmen, Ray Kurzweil’s circle (AI and Lifeboat), and many others.
People I met through my job with Howard Bloom:
- Douglas Rushkoff was a neighbor of ours
- David Krebs (music industry/former Aerosmith manager)
- Marina V
- Chris McCulloch (Venture Brothers animation)
- Grant Morrison
- Playwright Richard Foreman, (RIP)
- Richard Metzger of disinfo.net
- Classical composer Octavio Vasquez
- Daniel Pinchbeck
- Mr. Bloom started an “artist development group” and I was the main point of contact for many musicians aspiring to reach more listeners. This group lasted for about one year.
- Crossed paths with people who organized The Moth
- Met and befriended Alan Gershwin, the son (illegitimate son) of the famed pianist George Gershwin. He was around eighty years-old at the time, but was full of energy and was a very personable man who was a pleasure to speak with.
- Connected with the Bill Hicks Foundation for Wildlife (of deceased comedian) which offers this t-shirt I designed on their online donation page. Bill Hicks was a favorite comedian of mine. I was emailed that Bill Hicks’ brother and mother proudly put on the t-shirts soon after the shirts arrived at their door. I felt so honored for something so simple and normal as a t-shirt.
- Connected with Robert Steele who was the focus of this Guardian article on “Open Source Everything” which also mentions my true cost t-shirt research. The true cost t-shirt was proudly sold at the 2012 Hackers on Planet Earth conference in New York City and has long been sold out. It was also featured at a gallery on the Canary Island (Spanish) community of Santa Cruz de Tenerife (southwest of Morocco).
- Through Robert Steele’s 2006 Open Source Intelligence Conference, I befriended famed former CIA man of 39 years, Burton Gerber, a gentlemen and a scholar, thanks to Jeff Toolan.
- Crossed paths with p2pFoundation founder Michel Bauwens.
- Was involved with meetings with Buzz Aldrin and the Space Development Steering Committee regarding space solar power. We also attended a space conference at the American Enterprise Institute, and a space solar power conference in Colorado that was organized by the Air Force, as well as other space conferences, and the X-Prize in New Mexico.
- Connected with Jerome Glenn, head of the Millennium Project, which publishes The State of the Future.Freelancing
- About a year after leaving the job with Howard Bloom, I was asked to be part of a UNESCO team of researchers to work on the World Water Assessment Program’s report that is released every four years. A by-product of that report is this 40+ pages of links about water. Here’s my contribution (PDF) to the UNESCO report.
- I was honored with the privilege of being an assistant (briefly) with the great sculptor Lawrence Berger who’s been through some unfortunate circumstances with hurricane Sandy damaging a lot of his work.
- In 2011-2012 I collaborated with Delbert Spurlock, former Pentagon legal counsel, and David Stansfield, a former co-worker of Marshall McLuhan. We collaborated on a civics education project in Oberlin, Ohio. Later, they formed CivicVision.net.
- Before moving to China in late 2013 I found myself working with the Illuminator crew and later with Ben Cohen (co-founder of Ben & Jerry’s ice cream) where we used a van mounted with a very large digital projector connected to a laptop that looped various messages. I drove it all over New York City late into the night.
- And last, I’d like to mention a patent for an invention of mine that makes carrying shopping bags easier (without discomfort) called Grripz.
My Twitter posts are @JsonLiszkiewicz
My email is hologramr [at] re-configure.org
The meaning: holograms created through grammar/language, and words creating a virtual reality, provoking imagination, “creating reality.”